I've seen that this is a recurring problem with twitch.tv and I've sifted through all of the posts I could find that offered various 'fixes'. My problem still exists and ONLY relates to MY channel. I can view and use real-time chats in other streams.
* I am in Australia and accessing www.twitch.tv (i.e. not a subdomain)
* I have tried both Firefox version 11 and Internet Explorer version 9. I do not have Chrome installed, but will do so if someone can prove to me it's a SURE fix (I've read people complaining of the same issue with Chrome)
* I have done a clean installation of Adobe Flash
* I have adjusted the various Adobe Flash Player Manager settings and set relative permissions for www.twitch.tv
* I have tried accessing my chat from irc clients (mIRC, Mibbit)
* I have tried the Firefox IRC add-on, Chatzilla
None of the above has fixed the problem, as outline below:
* I can post to my own channel and see the post immediately
* If I popout the chat window, it will not always show me the same messages as the imbedded one
* I CANNOT see anyone else's posts without refreshing the page (popout version, or imbedded one)
* Posting from the imbedded or popped-out version does NOT display in any IRC clients I have used. However, I can post FROM those clients and then manually refresh my imbedded/popout chat window to see those posts
* Refreshing the page does NOT always display posts
* People who post to my chat finally appear some time later and are marked as "timed-out"
(This is where support staff come in, I'm hoping....)